{ font: $(body.font); color: $(body.text.color); background: $(body.background); padding: opx; $(body.background.override) } expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Wedding Superstitions

Here Comes The Bride....


On a personal note, I apologize to anyone who may read my blog and wonder why I haven't posted in a while:  Not only has work been all-consuming but Russ proposed to me on Valentine's Day and I have exactly 103 days (3 months, 12 days; or. approximately 15 weeks) to get it all together.  





The Wedding date is set.  

The invitations have been sent.

The Hall is reserved and rented.

We have our Marriage Officiant.

The licensed caterer is hired.

The menu established.

We bought our rings, and 

RSVP's are trickling in....



Since the marriage proposal was a complete shock and an utter surprise, I have been filled with an enormous amount of nervous energy and have been working on planning and preparation.  I am making all of the decorations myself and it is a huge endeavor, but it will be worth it, as I have picked my colors and theme.

I have started to blog about my do-it-yourself wedding several times, and took pictures of the invitations and decorations I have been making, step by step.  Each time, I deleted the posts.  I realized that I am incredibly superstitious and worry that if I post my progress, it will somehow jinx the day.  Seriously....I don't want bad mojo!



As I have searched the Internet for ideas and themes, before I decided on my own, I noted that many people are using Peacock feathers as decorations - to that, I cringe - remembering my Grandmother telling my Father that Peacock feathers were bad luck, and should never be taken into a home!  This is my own superstition, so if you are using these as your theme, don't listen to me!  (But I am not alone with my irrational fear - Go ahead and Google it!) 




So, without further ado, here are some wedding superstitions from life123.com:

It is good luck for a bride to dream of her wedding day.

Feed a cat out of an old shoe and your wedding day will be a happy one.

If a cat sneezes in front of a bride on the day before her wedding, it is a sign of very good luck.

It is bad luck for a bride to read the marriage service on the day before her wedding.

A woman should not marry a man whose surname begins with the same letter as her own. It is bad luck.

It is unlucky to marry someone born in the same month as you.
It will bring bad luck to marry on your birthday.

Be sure that the marriage is completed between the half hour and the hour.

If it rains on the wedding day, the bride will cry all her married life.

Postponing a wedding is very bad luck.

It is bad luck for the bride to eat anything while she is adorning for her marriage. Wait until after the ceremony.

After the bride is completely dressed and ready for the ceremony, she must not look into a mirror again until she is wed. The bride may dress before a mirror but should leave something off until after she walks away, like a necklace or shoe or earring.

Wear earrings when you are married and you will always be happy.

It is bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the actual ceremony.

It is bad luck to make your own wedding gown.

It is a sign of very good luck to find a spider crawling on your wedding gown.

Pearls are the symbols of tears. For each pearl that the bride wears, her husband will give her a cause for weeping.

A bride should have her hair dressed and veil put on by a happily married woman.

Good luck will come to a bride if her veil is accidentally torn, especially if torn at the altar.

Bad luck comes to the bride who shows her veil to anyone other than family before the wedding.

In the saying something old, something new, the old should be something from a happily married woman, the borrowed should be an object of gold, and the sixpence, penny or new dime should be worn in the heel of the left shoe.

The bride should always be happy if she wears or carries a bit of salt.

The bridegroom should carry a horseshoe in his pocket for good luck.

The bride should step into and out of the church with her right foot first. When stepping away from the altar she should also put the right foot first.

At the altar, the bride should keep her right foot ahead of the groom's.

At the wedding, the bride should make sure she sees the groom before he sees her.

It is unlucky to give away a wedding present.

The bride should drink a glass of water after the wedding ceremony.

Give the clergy an odd sum of money for good luck.

It is bad luck for the bride to put bare feet on the floor on her wedding night. Keep slippers on or have the groom carry you to bed.

Snow Fall - A very successful Marriage Omen.

Rainy Day - There will be a Stormy Marriage.

Sunny Day - There will be a very Happy Marriage.

Sun with Showers - Good luck Omen.





"Something old, 
something new, 
something borrowed, 
something blue, 
and a silver sixpence in her shoe."


" "Something Old" stands for continuity, something linking the bride to her family and her past. Many brides choose a piece of antique family jewelry or mother's wedding gown. "Something New" represents optimism for the future: good fortune and success in the bride's new life. This can be a new gown, veil, etc. "Something Borrowed" is to remind the bride that friends and family will be there for her when help is needed. Often the borrowed item is a lace handkerchief, a necklace or the like. "Something Blue" stands for fidelity, loyalty and love: most often the bride's garter or floral bouquet has a touch of blue. And the "Silver Sixpence in her Shoe" is to wish the bride wealth: sixpence aren't common around here, so an old dime is often substituted." -thestraightdope.com

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! I wish you both nothing but the very best of luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete