{ font: $(body.font); color: $(body.text.color); background: $(body.background); padding: opx; $(body.background.override) } expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, December 21, 2013

End of Year Post from your Host

Today marks the Winter Solstice.  A good day to reflect upon the present year before it is gone for good.  I don't know why, but I am feeling very blue today.

Professionally - I'm tired.  Exhausted.  Metaphorically, the year has been filled with putting out fires. It is as if the fire will be temporarily extinguished, but  in the smoldering ashes, a spark ignites anew, and this blaze threatens to burn the house down.  I feel scattered, unfocused and down-right fried.  There are simply not enough hours in the day.  

Like most of us, I work a 40+ hour work week, and am faced with trying to "keep house," as well. I am just plain tired.  Well, that was depressing, wasn't it?  On a lighter note, I honestly feel that with all the work that I mentioned, it has definitely been very rewarding., too.  Especially when the people with whom I work with are grateful and can witness their own self-sufficiency and growth.  That is the ultimate reward, and creates a beautiful balance.

Mother Theresa said, "This is the meaning of true love, to give until it hurts."  Well, it hurts.  The hardest lesson I learned this year was one that I should have heeded long ago.  "Denise, you are too nice." I do enjoy giving, but when one gives to the point that one is hurting oneself, then it is time to re-think being too nice.  Please, don't get me wrong, I love to give and share and pass things along when possible, I think that it is simply the time for me to take a step back and attempt to give people other solutions rather than just trying to rush to the rescue.  

My mantra for 2014 will be to love myself enough not to be taken advantage of.  And - before you can shake a finger at me and tell me that it is my own fault - I will admit that is true!  I simply am saying that I am going to "reel it in", starting now.


Blogging has been my escape and my solace.  There has been so much creative release in writing, and I see blogging as my personal therapy.  I have learned over the years that I thrive on using art, in some form, as my ultimate expression and though vermontdeadline may have a morbid or dark foundation,  I have tried to intersperse history and educational information along with lots of crazy pictures, to each post.  I hope you have enjoyed it, thus far. Suggestions, comments and any stories that you would like to share with me, are always welcome!  vermontdeadline@gmail.com


I have one big plan for the new year which I hope to share with you, in due time.  There is much work to be done, and of course, the best plans are laid step by step.  


Thank you for stopping by and I would like to wish you all a very happy and safe holiday season.



~Denise



2 comments:

  1. Denise: here is a saying i recently read " You have to stop swimming oceans for people who would not jump a puddle for you" I don't know who said it but it makes good sense to me. Like most people we all experience "good years and bad". For me 1964 remains the nadar by which all other years are compared. Few people are blessed with unconditional love in their lifetimes, I have been so blessed only once in my life. I have given that gift also, only to have that love pissed on like it was so much dog shit, and so goes 2013 it will not be missed.
    I wish you nothing but love and blessings in the coming year
    Love Uncle Rxoland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't always comment, I do enjoy reading your blog and I always come away having learned something new!

    A wonderful holiday to you, Denise!

    ReplyDelete