{ font: $(body.font); color: $(body.text.color); background: $(body.background); padding: opx; $(body.background.override) } expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vermont Epitaphs II




My staff and stay is took away,
And I am left alone.
My husband dear, who was so near,
Is took away and gone.


Dear Saviour, now my soul receive,
Transported from this vale, to live
And reign with thee above;
Where faith is sweetly lost in sight,
And hope, in full, supreme delight,
And everlasting love.   -1830


Here lies the dust of a Companion Dear
To all obliging & to all sincere
May all surviving friends submissive stand
And own the justice of Gods powerful hand.  -1805


My glass is run, my life is spent,
My earthly temple was but lent
Why should I wish for length of years
To spend them in a vail of tears
Friends nor physicians could not save
My mortal body from the grave
Nor can the grave confine it here
When Christ doth call me to appear.   -1814


When I am dead and in my grave,
and all my bones are rotten.
While reading this you'll think of me
when I am long forgotten!


Here lies a miser who lived for himself, who cared
for nothing but gathering wealth. Now where he is and how he fares;
nobody knows and nobody cares.


 Here lies the body of our Anna
Done to death by a banana
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low
But the skin of the thing that made her go.


One more soldier's yielded Fate
One more home made desolate
One more human task is ended
One more form with dust is blended
And the sorrowing parents mourn
Still the death of the first born.    -1863


Here lies the body of Mary Ann Lowder
She burst while drinking a Seidlitz powder.
Called from this world to her heavenly rest,
She should have waited till it effervesced.


Beneath the sacred Honours of the Tomb
In awfull Silence and majestic Gloom
The Man of Mercy here conceals his Head
Amidst the awfull Mansions of the Dead
No more his lib'ral Hand shall help the Poor
Relieve Distress and scatter Joy no more.  -1770


Weeping friends, my friends weep not for me
All is well, all is well
My sins are pardoned, pardoned I am free
All is well, all is well.   -1876


Life's but a journey those who travel best
Will end it shortly and arrive at rest.
Where no pains torture nor no cares intrude
To damp the pleasures that avail the good
Death's but a nap then why should christians weep
Or dread the slumbers who in Christ shall sleep
For on the resurrection morn the signal given
All who in Jesus sleep will wake in heav'n
And such is he who sleeps beneath this clod
He waits the waking summons of his God. -1803


A husband tender and a parent dear,
For human woes dispensing virtuous tears,
With useful toil he fill'd his narrow span,
A pleasant neighbour & an honest man.   - 1821. 


Life is short and Death is sure
Sin is the wound and Christ is
the cure.  -1795
 

Here lies cut down like unripe fruit,
The wife of Deacon Amos Shute:
She died of drinking too much coffee,
Anny Dominy -- eighteen-forty.


Look down on me; I slumber here;
The grave became my bed.
And think of death, that's always near,
For life may quickly fade.   -1784


    Off from my side
    the dearest half is torn
    The rest lies bleeding
    and but lives to mourn        - 1810


Stranger, pause as you pass by;
My thirteen children with me lie,
See their faces how they shine
Like blossoms on a fruitful vine.


The room below flamed like a stove,
Anxious for those who slept above,
She entered on the trembling floor,
She fell, she sank,she rose no more.


I put my wife beneath this stone
For her repose and for my own.


In after years beside thee sits another in my chair,
Though her voice be sweeter music, and her face
than mine more fair,
If a cherub calls thee father, still more beautiful
than this,
Love the little one, my husband; turn not from
the motherless.   -1755


That cold lifeless form now in death's chill embrace,
Lies low in the dark earth so drear:
O! never again shall we gaze on that Face
Until Jesus in glory appears. -1863


I was somebody.
Who, is no business
of yours.


To bliss & life God's love hath surely
borne thee
Dear cherished Mother nor seek
we to reclaim
How much we loved, how much we
miss & mourn thee
He knows alone & blessed be His name.  -1874


See there all pale & Dead she lies:
For ever flow my streaming Eyes:
Susanna's fled the loveliest Mind
Such Modest worth & sweetness join'd
Genius & youth & wit dwelt there
Oh! view ye Change & drop a tear. - 1790


Lo where this Silent Marble weeps
A Friend, a Wife, a Mother sleeps
Where beneath this peaceful cell
Love and Virtue us'd to dwell.   1793


Thy virtue and thy worth
Shall fond remembrance cheer,
And ease the aching heart
That drops the falling tear.  -1840


Another call is given
Fold him oh! Father in thine arms
And to him henceforth be
A messenger of love between
Our human hearts and thee.   -1876


She lived with her husband for 50 years
And died in the confident hope of a better life.